Ah, if only kitchen cloning was an exact science.
While working on this one I saw the same bartender
make the drink two different ways on two different
days. Only after a firm grilling did I get her
admitting to her personal "improvement" to the chain's
secret recipe. The official clone includes the
ingredients found below. But if you want to add a little
pineapple juice -- as some independent thinking
bartenders are apt to do -- you might discover you
have indeed created a tastier version of this refreshing
smoothie. On that day the cloning gods shall be looking
the other way.
But, for heaven's sake, be sure your banana is soft
and ripe. This is a detail the gods won't ignore.
1 10-ounce box frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
1/3 cup pina colada mix
2 cups ice
2 ripe bananas
2 fresh strawberries
1. Use a blender to puree the entire contents of the thawed
box of frozen strawberries.
2. Add 1/3 cup pina colada mix and 2 cups of ice to the blender.
3. Cut the end off end banana -- set these pieces aside to use
later as a garnish -- then put the bananas into the blender.
4. Blend on high speed until the ice is crushed and the drink
is smooth. Pour into two tall stemmed glasses, such as daiquiri
5. Slice each strawberry halfway up through the middle and add
one to the rim of each glass.
6. Cut each banana slice halfway through the middle and add one
to the rim of each glass next to the strawberry. Top with
whipped cream and serve with a straw.
Makes 2 servings.